|Season Three, Episode 4|
|Air date||November 6, 2015|
|Written by|| April Blair |
|Directed by||Nathaniel Goodman|
In A Clearing
- "What’s the cost of a king’s life?"
Amy Brenneman Returns
After Mary receives an urgent message from her ailing mother (Amy Brenneman) about the dire situation in Scotland, she finds herself looking to Francis for aid. Catherine finds herself up against Narcisse as she fights to become the regent to Charles. Meanwhile, Elizabeth faces continued pressure to wed.
Lady Lola: Catherine you started me.
Queen Catherine: Why would my presence startle you? Oh because you married my lover?
Don Carlos: Your Highness, you are a vision.
Queen Elizabeth: And you are a charmer I see.
Queen Elizabeth: What can Spain offer my country?
Don Carlos: How about all the gold and silver of the new world?
Don Carlos: Many Queens might meet my needs. But only you, meet my desires.
Queen Elizabeth: I love you, Robert. This thing between us. It must end.
Queen Mary: I hope your wings are strong you vulture! You will be circling for quite some times.
Queen Catherine: You requested a five-course meal, I offer you seven!
Queen Elizabeth: Tell Don Carlos, I’m ready to accept his proposal.
King Francis: Remember. Being king’s a performance.
King Francis: Mary come to me. There may not be much time. Lay beside me.
King Francis: All that’s left now, is for me to enjoy my final hours.
King Francis: I love you, and I thank God for the time we’ve had.
Queen Elizabeth: It is a fact of our time. A man rules his wife. Even if his wife is a Queen.
Queen Elizabeth: And it will be the challenge of my life, not to kill her.
Sebastian: What’s the cost of a king’s life Charles? Your life? Yours?
Queen Mary: If the price is my life, I will give it! Bring him back!
Delphine: Are you certain?
Queen Mary: Yes I am. Go do it now, do it! Please hurry.
- King Philip, Nostradamus and John Philip were all mentioned, but do not appear.
- First on-screen appearance of Don Carlos.
- The New World is brought up again, as is was currently being discovered by Europe.
- Greer left the Town House, and has opened her brothel at the tavern she used to live in.
- The English Cypher from Season Two is brought back. As it was taken off Richard Gifford's dead body.
- Francis and Mary agreed, if they had children they would name them 'Anne' and 'James'.
- Don Carlos and Elizabeth were in a very brief relationship, and unofficially engaged.
When Narcisse and Lola walk away from Catherine, she is no longer behind them in the next shot.
- 100's in the French Navy
- Marie de Guise
- The episode title and synopsis were released on October 16, 2015.
- All new directors, and writers for this episode.
- This mark Amy Brenneman only appearance of Season Three, and last appearance in the series.
- This marks Mark Ghanimé's first on-screen appearance.
- Though Amy Brenneman is the top billed Guest, she is only onscreen for 2 minutes.
- Marie de Guise died on 11 June 1560 at 44 years old from Edema/Oedema.
- King Francis died on 5 December 1560 when he was 16 from Syncope.
- Don Carlos is the son of King Philip of Spain, who was married to Queen Mary Tudor of England, and Elizabeth's brother-in-law. Yet there was no mention of any of this.
|Official Pictures from each episode, and an additional 50 pictures gallery is available here.|
- Credit Order
|Adelaide Kane||Mary Stuart|
|Megan Follows||Queen Catherine|
|Rachel Skarsten||Queen Elizabeth|
|Toby Regbo||King Francis|
|Celina Sinden||Lady Greer|
|Anna Popplewell||Lady Lola|
|Craig Parker||Lord Narcisse|
|Rose Williams||Princess Claude|
|Amy Brenneman||Marie de Guise|
|Charlie Carrick||Robert Dudley|
|Alexandra Ordolis||Sister Delphine|
|Clara Pasieka||Amy Dudley|
|Mark Ghanimé||Don Carlos|
|Pascal Langdale||Church Official|
|Tom Everett Scott||William Cecil|
|Spencer MacPherson||Prince Charles|
|Ryan Kelly||Scottish Messenger|
|Nicole Buscema||Servant Girl|
|Jordan Til||Castle Servant|
|Emily Andrews||Scottish Servant|
|Adrian Spencer||Lord Roux|
|Damir Andrei||Lord Clavel|