|Hearts and Minds|
|Season One, Episode 4|
|Air date||November 7, 2013|
|Written by||P.K. Simonds|
|Directed by||Scott Peters|
A Chill in the Air
- "You've never learned to take, like a bastard can.
Take a crown. Take a woman. Take a life."
- —Tomås of Portugal
Mary And Francis Grow Closer Amidst The Chaos
Mary has to decide if she is willing to lie and sentence a man to death in order to have King Henry let her out of her engagement to Prince Francis. Meanwhile, Francis and Bash are suspicious of Tomas' true intentions which will ultimately lead to a confrontation with disastrous results.
- "If we do leave tomorrow, I don't mind you knowing, I'll think of you."
- —Lady Kenna
Tomás of Portugal turns out to be not quite the gentleman he wanted Mary to believe. Prince Francis, Sebastian and Mary try to uncover the truth about an English ambassador, whose life and the peace between whole countries lie in the balance, all while attending a The Michaelmas Banquette
Sebastian: I'm going to make us both feel better, and leave.
Kenna: (to King Henry II) If we do leave tomorrow, I don't mind you knowing, I'll think of you.
Leith Bayard: Saint Michael. He slew Lucifer, who's sold vanity, pride and shame. Which, is why we wear these masks. So on this one day, No one is better than anyone else. We're all the same.
Tomás of Portugal: You've never learned to take, like a bastard can. Take a crown. Take a woman. Take a life.
Sebastian: Killing isn't supposed to be easy. If your hands weren't shaking, you'd be him.
- Diane de Poitiers was mentioned, but did not appear.
- Kenna decided to consummate her relationship with king Henry for the first time.
- The Michaelmas Banquette is celebrated for the first time.
- Lola went as an Angel warrior, presumably an Archangel in an attempt to impress Sebastian.
- Prince Francis killed someone for the first time.
- At The Michaelmas Banquette, Queen Mary went as The Greek Goddess Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt and the Moon.
- In Christianity, the Archangel, Michael, is the greatest of all the Archangels and is honoured for defeating Lucifer in the war in heaven.
- Michaelmas is the feast of Saint Michael the Archangel.